Zero to Four Family Support Service
When a family is going through a difficult time, it can be hard to create a safe and positive family environment. A family may become socially isolated and stressed.
The Zero to Four Family Support Service (0-4 FSS) helps families who are going through difficult times. Family Support Volunteers can visit families in their homes to help parents create a safe, positive family environment.
How we work with you, your child and your family
Once a referral has been received from your general practitioner or another helping professional, the 0-4 FSS Coordinators meet to decide whether this service is the right fit for your family. A coordinator will then match a family support volunteer with your family and help you to start working together. If there is no volunteer available straight away, we will talk through the options with you.
A family support volunteer can help by:
- demonstrating positive parenting strategies
- helping parents enjoy positive activities with their babies and young children
- helping families access public transport to attend appointments or family outings
- accompanying families on outings to provide more opportunities for enjoyment when spending time together
- providing a listening ear to support the challenges of parenting
- providing another set of hands to meet the practical demands of parenting.
Who can access this service?
0-4 FSS is available for families who are struggling with problems, and have at least one child not yet at school.
The service is available for families living in the northern and western Brisbane and Pine Rivers area. Please check our postcode list to see if your suburb falls within our catchment.
Do I need a referral?
You will need a formal referral to access this service.
How do I get a referral?
Health professionals and other helping professionals can refer a family to 0-4 FSS. This may include:
- general practitioners
- child health nurses
- case manager/ case workers
other helping professionals.
Other referral information
If you would like more information about whether your young child and family would be helped by 0-4 FSS, please contact your GP, child health nurse or other health care professional. They will be able to discuss your concerns and make a referral for your child if it is needed.
Information for health professionals
0-4 FSS is a volunteer home-visiting service co-ordinated by a mental health professional. Volunteers are supported through regular supervision, training and professional development.
0-4 FSS offers full psychosocial assessments on families referred to the service from external agencies. Once a family enters the service, Family Support Volunteers provide weekly home visits, supporting the family to work on goals outlined in a Care Plan. Care Plans are reviewed every three months.
0-4 FSS works collaboratively with the family and with active case managers from other services to achieve the family’s goals.
To make a referral, service providers can complete the Zero to Four Family Support Service referral form, then submit the form by fax or email.
Who may benefit from this service
- Families where one or more parent or caregiver is having difficulties with their mental health and wellbeing, and/or with alcohol and substance use.
- Brothers and sisters of current Child and Youth Mental Health Service clients.
- Children in families who have difficulty keeping their children safe.
- Families with many social stressors.
- Children whose parents or caregivers experienced distressing events in their own childhoods.