The Welfare Service is part of the hospital’s Social Work and Welfare Department. Welfare workers provide practical support to families and carers whilst their child is undergoing specialist medical treatment at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital. Services include:
- assessing the social welfare needs of families
- assisting with complex travel and accommodation issues for rural and remote families
- referral and advocacy to community and financial resources
- providing information about support agencies and other useful resources
- problem solving around the impact of hospital visits
- assisting families who need financial support with parking costs.
Who can access this service?
Welfare services are available to any child or family who is a patient at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital.
All patients and families are eligible to access the Welfare support service. However, only Rural and Remote families whose local public hospital is more than 50kms from the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital are eligible for the Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme.
Do I need a referral?
You do not need a formal referral to access this service.
How do I get a referral?
Referrals can be made:
- through a request to ward staff to contact workers on your behalf when your child is an inpatient
- by attending the Welfare department on Level 6 (6f) of the hospital (orange level)
- by phoning the Welfare department on 07 3068 2940.
Other referral information
Helpful information to include when making a referral:
- patient name
- hospital UR number
- medical team the child is treated under
- current medical issues and prognosis
- reason for referral and urgency.