Paediatric Surgery and Urology
The Paediatric Surgery and Urology Department provides a range of surgical care for neonates and children involving the correction of congenital anomalies and acquired conditions. The speciality provides treatment for a range of conditions including:
- all neonatal and childhood thoracic (non-cardiac) and abdominal abnormalities
- acquired gastrointestinal conditions such as pyloric stenosis and intussusception
- inguino-scrotal pathology
- developmental anomalies of the male and female reproductive systems
- tumours of childhood
- head and neck abnormalities
- lesions of the skin, subcutaneous tissue and extremities
- surgical urological conditions
- cholecystitis, appendicitis and inflammatory bowel disease
- non-reproductive gynaecology conditions.
Who can access this service?
Referrals are accepted for patients aged from birth to a child’s 16th birthday.
Existing patients with complex care needs
Referrals are accepted for patients aged from birth to a child’s 18th birthday (patients are usually transitioned to adult services by this time).
The service is available to children living in Queensland, northern New South Wales, and other states and territories as defined by state and national agreements.
Paediatric surgical units are also located in the Townsville and Gold Coast Hospitals. These local facilities provide treatment for most paediatric surgical conditions.
Do I need a referral?
You will need a formal referral to access this service.
How do I get a referral?
Referrals are accepted from:
- general practitioners
- medical staff from other hospitals.
Other referral information
Please contact the Patient Call Centre to confirm or change appointments.
t: 1300 762 831
Information for health professionals
Contact the paediatric surgical registrar on-call via the hospital switchboard.
t: 07 3068 1111
Refer to our How to submit a referral page for more information.
Professor Roy Kimble MBChB, FRCSP, FRACS
Senior Medical Officers
A/Prof Peter Borzi FRCS, FRACS
Dr Christopher Bourke FRACS (Gen), FRACS (Paed)
Dr Kelvin Choo FRACS
Dr Romi Das Gupta MBBS, FRACS, RACS BSR, IPEG, ANZAPS, SIOP/IPSO, AMAQ
Dr Craig McBride FRACS
Dr Bhavesh Patel FRACS
Dr David Winkle FRACS (Urol)