Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Program
What is MHATODS?
We are mental health workers who work at the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre (BYDC). We work with young people aged between 10 and 18 years old with their feelings, behaviour and drug use. MHATODS is a voluntary service.
Is this service for me?
- Is it hard to understand or talk about your thoughts and feelings?
- Are you feeling angry, spooked, stressed, out of control, sad, confused? Or maybe you just don’t feel like your ‘normal’ self and you don’t know why?
- Do you feel like life is too hard and you don’t want to live anymore?
- Do you use drugs and want to stop but you don’t know how?
- Are you stressed about something that you need to talk about?
If any of these sound like you, we can help you!
How can MHATODS help me?
- A mental health worker can offer an assessment and treatment to help you feel better, to understand your thoughts and feelings or maybe help you to quit drugs;
- If talking therapy is not your thing, we can offer you other therapies like Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Rock & Water and Yoga;
- Once you leave BYDC, we can talk to other services in the community that might help you with your mental health and/or drugs and alcohol;
- We work with your case workers, family and other services (if necessary) to make sure you are given the best support;
- If you identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, we can provide you with cultural support.
Our service is private and confidential. If we need to share your personal information with someone else (e.g. case workers and family members), we will always talk to you first and get your consent, unless we are worried about your safety or the safety of others.
How can I attend MHATODS?
Upon admission to BYDC, you can be referred to MHATODS by Nursing staff, BYDC case workers, Youth Justice Officers, or other CYMHS and Evolve services.
If at any time you wish to attend MHATODS during your admission in BYDC, the easiest thing to do is to chat to your BYDC case worker who can make a referral for you.