Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Program
The Mental Health, Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs (MHATODS) service is an integrated child and youth mental health service based in the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre (BYDC).
Who can access this service?
For a referral to forensic mental health services, children and young people must be:
- aged between 10 and18 years
- experiencing severe and complex mental health and behavioural difficulties.
This program is available to any young person in Brisbane Youth Detention Centre.
Do I need a referral?
You do not need a formal referral to access this service.
Any young person in youth detention who may be experiencing mental health difficulties or who has issues with substance abuse can refer themselves to MHATODS.
Information for health professionals
MHATODS is an integrated child and youth mental health service based in the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre (BYDC). The service operates within a multidisciplinary framework, drawing on staff from psychiatry, psychology, social workers, mental health nursing, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and administrative staff.
What services does MHATODS provide?
- Mental health and substance use assessment and treatment services to young people who are in the BYDC.
- Referrals to local community mental health and/or drug and alcohol support services upon the young person’s release from detention.
- Support and liaison to young people and their families and relevant stakeholders to collaborate care.
- Culturally appropriate interventions to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people with mental health and substance use problems.
MHATODS aspires to provide the same high quality mental health and substance use support to young people in BYDC that would be available to young people generally in the community. The service has a strong focus on assisting young people with their transition out of youth detention by providing them with ongoing clinical care and support in the community upon their release.
Young people must provide consent to engage with this service as it is voluntary.
Who may benefit from this service
Any young person in youth detention who may be experiencing mental health difficulties or who has issues with substance abuse.
To make a referral request, phone the MHATODS Intake Officer.
t: 07 3271 0618 / 19