Referral guideline – Developmental regression
Developmental regression is when a child loses an acquired function or fails to progress after a period of normal development.
Clinical history and examination looking for:
- loss of acquired skills
- abnormal movements
- changes in reflexes
- loss of vision
- loss of hearing
- deterioration in behaviour
- arrest of head growth.
When to refer
- Refer urgently to the nearest general paediatric service.
Essential referral info
- History of the function(s) which has been lost or isn’t progressing
- Birth and developmental history
- Patient details
- Medicare number
- Parent/carer name and contact details
- Referring clinician details (name, contact details, provider number, date and length of referral)
Helpful referral info
- Examination findings
- Height/weight/head circumference/percentile charts
- Significant psychosocial risk factors