The Pharmacy Department at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital manages all medications across the hospital, including the preparation and supply of all inpatient medication on the wards, and prescription and dispensary services for children visiting the hospital.
There are two pharmacies located within the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital, a main pharmacy on Level 2 (near the B lifts), and an oncology pharmacy on Level 5 which is designated to provide dispensary services to patients attending the Oncology Day Care Unit and Oncology Clinic.
Our pharmacists work with both families and your child’s doctors and nurses to prescribe and administer the most effective and appropriate medications.
We work with families to find out about your child’s medication history, allergies and previous adverse reactions to medication. Nobody knows your child better than you do. Your hospital pharmacist will work with you to make sure your child gets the right medication, in the right way, at the right time.
Our pharmacists will also help you prepare for administering medication at home once your child has been discharged from hospital. We will make sure that you are confident giving your child their medication and can also provide Medication Records and Consumer Medicine Information (CMI) leaflets to help you understand what each medication does.
Repeat medication service
The Pharmacy Department at the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital (LCCH) supplies medications for inpatients and outpatients. One of the services Pharmacy provides for families is a repeat prescription service for non-urgent medication repeats. Find out more about the repeat prescription service below, or download the fact sheet.
If you would like to use this service you need to:
- Leave a current hospital prescription with the LCCH Pharmacy Department.
- Provide LCCH Pharmacy with five (5) days’ notice of planned collection either by email or telephone. Advance notice is required as most special paediatric medications are individually compounded, purchased or imported. If your request is urgent, every effort will be made to ensure your child’s medication can be supplied.
There may be an option to collect your repeat medication supplies at a hospital or retail pharmacy closer to your home (this will depend on the medications involved). Ask the pharmacist for further information.
Information we need to fill a repeat hospital prescription
You can help us by providing the following information about your child in your email or telephone message:
- Child’s full name.
- Child’s date of birth.
- Medications required.
- Proposed collection date and approximate time (if possible). If you do not indicate a collection date, we will automatically default to a collection time five (5) working days from the date of the medication request.
- Your contact telephone number.
To send an email request
Please email LCCHPrescriptionRepeat@health.qld.gov.au
- This email address is case sensitive. Please double check you have entered the correct email.
- You should receive a reply within one (1) business day. If you don’t receive a reply, please call 07 3068 1900 as we may not have received your email.
To send a voicemail request
Please call 07 3068 1993
- When you choose the voicemail option, you will not automatically receive a reply or confirmation.
- Please speak slowly, clearly and provide full details as indicated above.
The email address and voicemail are reviewed twice a day, Monday to Friday, but not on weekends or public holidays.
If you have an urgent request or pressing issue to discuss please call us on 07 3068 1932 and ask to speak to a pharmacist so your request can be actioned as efficiently as possible.