Mepilex Ag is a foam antimicrobial dressing used for treating acute and chronic wounds. Mepilex Ag contains Safetac Technology which is proven to minimise pain and skin damage.
Why is it used?
Mepilex Ag is a soft, comformable foam dressing that is designed for the management of low to moderate exudating wounds. Mepilex Ag is an ideal dressing for initial burns due to the amount of fluid loss that occurs after a burn injury. The silver within the dressing reacts with the wound fluid to help heal the burn. This may discolour the dressing, however, this is completely normal.
It can remain intact for up to one week, however we prefer to change the dressings twice weekly to reduce the risk of the wound drying out.
Care of Mepilex Ag
- Mepilex Ag needs to remain dry, do not go near water
- Sponge your child while dressings are insitu.
- If the dressing does get wet accidentally, please contact the Burns Outpatients for further advice, as it will require a dressing change.
- Do not go near sand or dirt as this may cause further damage to the wounds
- If the tape lifts around the edges of the dressing, apply further tape to secure.
Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, given in accordance with product instructions, should be sufficient pain relief for your child at home. The pain usually settles after the dressing is placed on, but if pain persists, seek medical advice.
- Check that your child’s next appointment has been made before you leave the clinic.
- Please keep your child’s appointments. It is the parents/guardians responsibility to contact the department if you cannot attend a scheduled appointment. Please phone the clinic as soon as possible before the appointment to book another date and time.
- If you have not attended a Burns Outpatients Clinic previously, a staff member should contact you within three working days to arrange your appointment. If you have not heard anything within this time, please contact us on the number below.
Burns Outpatients Unit (5e)
Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
Level 5, 501 Stanley Street, South Brisbane
t: 07 3068 2830 | 07 3068 1111 (general enquiries)
In an emergency, always call 000.
If it’s not an emergency but you have any concerns, contact 13 Health (13 43 2584). Qualified staff will give you advice on who to talk to and how quickly you should do it. You can phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.